Monday, August 30, 2004

Columbia Airport
After many weeks of not being able to fly for one reason or the other (mostly weather related) finally everything came together; Plane, Weather, Time.
I've been waiting to go to Columbia for awhile now. At 2118ft, it would be the highest airport that I've flown too. I was thinking about coming out here for my mountain-checkout but after talking to another pilot, I decided I could do this myself and save the mountain-checkout for Tahoe.

Ruth and Pradeep came along for the ride. We flew out east and headed straight to Columbia. I was switching between my GPS and the navs for navigation (primarily the GPS). Once we were over the valley, the terrain has such a consistent look to it that finding landmarks was difficult. You can still identify the large water bodies and the like.

The airport itself is small. It's non-towered with a small FBO on site. The approach is not too technical. We landed, parked and took a short trail to the Gold Rush town of Columbia. After lunch and some lounging around we headed back home. I was hoping to experience some of the effects of the high density altitude but didnt. I guess I'll have to go over the sierras into Tahoe or Truckee to get a feel for that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter