Thursday, December 18, 2003

100 Years of Flight
What better way to commemorate 100 years of flight on Dec. 17 than fly yourself? Thanks to the high pressure over the bay area, the weather couldnt have been better. High ceilings, visibility greater than 50, and cool temperatures. The folks at Kitty Hawk doing the wright flyer re-enactment would've been a lot happier and successful if they had weather like this.

I had initially planned to fly to Angwin but it was sunset by the time, we fuelled up and got 234JG in the air and I didnt think it was wise to fly over the hilly terrain into Angwin. I chose to head to Santa Rosa. This flight was also my first GPS aided flight. I bought a new GPS III Pilot on eBay and was eager to test it out. When I climbed into 4JG, I noticed that it had a large screen GPS in it so I ended up using that more than my toy.

The trip to Santa Rosa was great. The setting sun had spread a crimson hue over the sky. In the distance I saw Santa Rosa's runway 14 with it's blazing runway lights. - Night flying, while having it's unique challenges, is such an awesome thing -. After landing and tie-down, Ruth and I grabbed dinner at Manny's. The food was so-so. This is also Ruth's second trip to Manny's. Unlike me, she has a very low tolerance for bad food so she wasn't too thrilled about eating there. The trip back was nice. The moonlight illuminated the terrain not lit up by city lights.
Site Meter